Sunday, February 24, 2008

Come and Go with me to my Father's house




Yesterday, I was on call. It was a rough day. I treated 4 snakebites, incised and drained pockets of pus on two patients, sewed a cut finger back together, put a chest tube in (after the patient ripped it out the first time), and helped out with countless other short procedures and admitted a few other patients. Overnight 3 of my patients died. It was heartbreaking, but there wasn't anything else that could be offered here, although in the US I think some of them would have made it. Two were children. It's a fact of life here, but it's hard nonetheless.

Today I got off the BMC compound, and went to church with Tommy Harris. It was a rather nice break from the hospital work. Tommy is somewhat of a legend around here. From what I can gather, he came here around 1984, originally working on the compound. He is still a full time missionary, working on his own. He travels to several villages and is a lay preacher. I really can't do his story justice, but he does amazing work. He has the best mastery of the local language and culture, he farms along side of them, and ministers to them. He is sort of like a circuit pastor, going on a schedule to different villages to preach. If you are wondering, they have traditional churches here in town too. But I thought it'd be more fun to go with Tommy.

Dr. Fuller and Dana joined us too, as well as various locals we picked up along the way. Getting to church was interesting. I had been on the dirt roads here, but Tommy goes way out, he basically drives over what would be considered maybe a path. In some cases, it was more like adventure off-roading, I have no idea how he exactly got his truck over some areas. Needless to say it was quite bumpy. You should have see the truck ford a river we drove over, it was quite impressive.

Service was held under a tree. It was rather refreshing. There's alot of dancing and singing, then the message. I read the children the story of Zacheus from a children's Bible I brought, the children loved it. Except for Tommy telling us occasionally what was going on, I have no idea what was said, but I can tell the people love Jesus.

Afterwards since Dr. Fuller was with us, we extracted any teeth bothering the congregation. Then we headed back for a foofoo, a traditional food here. It's similar to the teazet I ate the other day, but it was made from yams. It has the consistency of play-doh, and you pick it up with your hands, then dip it into a soup. I think it is an acquired taste. :-)

Dana and I were quite exhausted (and still a bit hungry) when we got back, so now we are checking our e-mail while enjoying a tall glass of coke! It tastes so yummy!!!

No comments: