Sunday, March 2, 2008

African Dress



There is not a great deal to buy in Nalerigu, but bright vibrant African fabrics are readily available. It's cheap to have a seamstress make a dress. I knew before I arrived, I wanted an authentic African dress. I had been talking with nurses during clinic about what kind of dress I wanted, we had alot of fun with me taking pictures of my patient's in dresses I liked. The nurse's granddaughter was as seamstress, and a friend sold fabric. So yesterday I was off to find fabric and go to the seamstress. The most expensive part of the dress is the fabric, which costs around $13.

I arrive at the seamstress, I showed them the dress (of course, it took awhile because they are completely fascinated by cameras, so I take pictures of them, and show them, then I have to find the picture on my camera of the dress), they took my measurements, and told me I could have the dress by MONDAY! It cost about $6 for them to make the dress, add the liner to the dress, and for the lace. That doesn't happen in the United States.

This morning I'm eating breakfast, when there is a knock at the door, my dress was done! Not 24 hours after I ordered it. The result is above! I'm pleased! I know it's not exactly the height of fashion in the US, but it's very typical for around here. They also made me a wrap to go with it, but we can't get it on me correctly. It's warmer than the skirts I have, but I do plan to wear it to church while I'm here.

3 comments:

Branchville Lady said...

Biffy,
I love the dress!!! You look fantastic in it. Don't forget my shirt - I want two!
Love, Dad

Anonymous said...

Bif, you know shireen will want one of those dresses. It's way better than the fish dress!!
~Tamar

The Clouse's said...

Hi Biffy,

Love the dress. It looks so nice on you. What a bargain. We are enjoying your blogs.

Marge & Linn