Sunday, March 9, 2008

Maybe It's Maybeline

So I asked in a post a few days ago (likely over a week ago), what was in the picture? There were some rocks and some spools.

It's mascara or more like eye liner.

Men and women wear it here. I believe they grind up the rocks, and then somehow use the spool to apply it to their eyes.

I tried in the picture above to show you the eye liner, it's not a fantastic picture of that. But it is a great picture of a chew stick, what is hanging out her mouth. Basically, it's the African toothbrush, they use it daily. It can be any stick from what I gathered during my short dentistry career. Dr. Fuller, in his 20+ years, going to villages here, has found the farther from civilization, the better the teeth. Go figure. So the chew sticks must work.

You can see little feet sticking out from behind her. Everyone carries babies this way around here. I keep trying to get a woman to let me borrow her baby and let me carry it like that, but so far it's been lost in translation. They seem amused that I like how she carries her child, and then demonstrates the process, but I don't think they grasp that I want to try. Trust me they let me try everything else, and hand over their babies easily, so it really is just lost in translation so far. It seems to work rather well, until they pee on you. (No diapers in Ghana) You quickly learn to grab some kind of cloth mom has nearby, whenever you pick up a child.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

baby pee!! you should become a pediatrician!! :)

Anonymous said...

do women have many babys?? like two three four?? have u ever seen a man with a baby???? branchville diane